Saturday, August 11, 2007

waggoner's and doubling gaps

I was lucky enough to get in a nice, long ride today. Sixty-five miles in 3:46 and over two quality climbs--Waggoner's Gap, northwest of Carlisle, and Doubling Gap, north of Newville and southwest of Landisburg. I'm not sure how much elevation gain over the two gaps. Probably just under 1,000 feet each.

Anyway, it was, like I say, a nice, long ride, and now, afterwards, I'm feeling right nice. I'm just a guy who likes to ride his bike.

Oh yes, and I took Hemingway along with me on this ride. A Movable Feast. One favorite morsel:

When spring came, even the false spring, there were no problems except where to be happiest. The only thing that could spoil a day was people, and if you could keep from making engagements, each day had no limits. People were always the limiters of happiness, except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.

I seem to remember Seldom Seen Smith expressing similar sentiments, if in not quite as eloquent (is Hemingway eloquent?) prose.

It is a beautiful thought. And what's more, it's true. And really, what more can you ask of a thought than for it to be true?

3 comments:

vfg said...

that makes it a very moveable Movable Feast ;)

Anonymous said...

Goater,

Found your site by accident a couple of months ago and have been meaning to contact you to thank you for your help at the end of last season in Nashville. You gave me some really good advice about winter training and stringing seasons together to make improvements. I had much room for improvement as I had been in over my head in Cat 4 all year. Started training as soon as the last race was over and noticed big gains this year which were only diminished by a couple of ill-timed injuries (is there ever a good time). Sorry to hear about the broken collar bone - as it turns out, we were both riding indoors at the same time. I broke my right clavicle the week after Soto on a training ride. Anyway, this commment is too long already. Thanks again, Jay Martin.

UtRider said...

Hey man, I rode the trail where you went down last night. I was pretty nervous leading up to the ride but everything went well (though I took that last section super easy!). Glad to hear you are back outside and riding well. I still think you are going to have some killer form in September.