Monday, July 16, 2007

update

Saturday, July 7, another mountain bike race. I finished a disappointing third in Sport 30-34 (a total of 14 riders, though I also beat all the 35-39s).

So, I have to take back what I said earlier about these races being hilly time trials with scenery. This race I lost in the turns. I could crank up the hills fine, but I got burned through the serpentine downhill sections. Through nearly every turn I felt like I went in leaning the wrong direction. No "technical" sections as I generally think of the term, but clearly I lost this race for lack of technique through these winding downhill sections.

...

Monday, July 9, I went riding with Mark and one of his friends on some lovely, but dusty, trails up American Fork Canyon. On the way down I took a jump, watched the trail turn out from under me, and cracked up on the downward side of the side-hill trail. I came up with a clean break to my left clavicle.

My vacation has been decidedly less fun since.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Kris, "one of Mark's friends". I was bummed you broke your collar bone. It was a good ride and we were almost back to the car. I was just enjoying the ride not thinking about much else, but after your injury I had guilty thoughts about what I should have done to prevent it. Sadly, it cannot be undone. I hope your recovery is tolerable and speedy. It was good to share a ride with you.

Anonymous said...

Major bummer! How long will you be out for? What trail were you on? AF canyon is my ancestral home turf and I hate for anyone to have bad memories.

(Once driving home from a scout campout in the canyon, we had just come out of the actual canyon into the rock flats area and saw a tire roll by us, and thought that's really strange! A split second later the car lurched and started skidding. Turns out the mechanic who had put new tires on the Suburban had not tightened the lug nuts very well. Thank goodness they held until we were out of the canyon. I took us an hour to find the stupid tire in the rock flats. There was a lot more brush and stuff in the good old days.

goat said...

I appreciate the comments.

Kris, it seems silly to think there's anything you you could have or should have done. It was my error. No one's fault but mine.

Sean, no worries about having any kind of bad association. It was a great ride--when I heal, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

sjnagel said...

Hm. I was hoping for a picture of the x-ray. I'm more than slightly disappointed.

goat said...

Sara, the x-ray pics are coming. I've had no access to a scanner on vacation.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed our lunch. Looking forward to the next one sooner than later. I hope the collarbone is manageable.