Tuesday, June 17, 2008

bsnyc

My bike, reviewed (also, Mark's).

...

Blogging (about bicycles) is usually pretty depressing because (1) it's so obviously and unapologetically self-indulgent that when I stop to think about it for two seconds I begin to taste a little vomit, (2) it's so obviously and unapologetically self-indulgent in a very unoriginal way because (my heavens!) EVERYONE! has a blog (I'm pretty sure bike shops now require a blogspot login with the purchase of a new bike...or at least a well-recognized url is necessary for participation in many group rides), and (3) so many people do it better than me I'm not sure why I bother (more do it a lot worse too, but I've never spent much time worrying about those on the left side of the bell curve).

Connectivity (is that really a word?) has made us all small fish.

3 comments:

KanyonKris said...

Good points, but for me it all comes down to purpose.

With your profession being centered around language and writing, I can see how you might have lofter expectation for any written work you produce. But for me, I enjoy reading your posts. It helps that I know you, but even then I find your posts interesting, well written and entertaining.

If you want to feel good about your blog, read mine. It's most travelogue, with a few rants and other topics thrown in. But that's OK with me because the primary audience is me. That probably sounds strange, but I like having a record of what I've done - I've referred back to old posts many times to refresh my memory of a ride or pick out a fact I wanted to be sure I got right.

But I know what you're saying. Bike Snob spins some wonderful yarns. And there are plenty of other bloggers out there, like The Snob, taking blog to lofty heights.

goat said...

Thanks, Kris.

MTN said...

I used to say that blogging was for "closet extroverts." But now - unapologetically self-indulgent - I have started one too. It's young enough for you to (as we used to say in the old email threads) start from the bottom.

I can see that they are much more satisfying with actual readers, so give it a looksee and put it on your reader if you please.

(Bill Simmons, one of my regular reads on the NBA, began as a private blogger in Boston, got a huge readership and eventually was assumed by ESPN.com. There's always the longshot idea that people who don't even know us might find our rambling's somehow worthwhile. Unlikely.

Check out the MT Set at www.themtset.blogspot.com

(Somebody show me how to embed links...)