Wednesday, April 14, 2010

(thought continued...sort of)

Wow.

And now, six and a half hours later, I'm reassessing the value of taking risks in the classroom. Try to do cool stuff and you're guaranteed to piss a few people off. A lot. One has to ask: Would it be wiser (I know it would be easier) to be boring? Lecture. Test. Lecture. Test. It's not less than students expect. You'll get called boring. You won't get great reviews. But you're not going to get yelled at either. And you're probably a lot less likely to get shot.

Arrgh. In this business I'm not sure fortune favors the bold...

5 comments:

KanyonKris said...

Your previous post seemed to be exactly what should be taught at a university. Not that I'm saying it's an absolute truth, almost the opposite - it's a challenge that prompts deep thought. So a university student shouldn't be challenged? How sad.

KanyonKris said...

This reminded me, you might enjoy reading "Straight man" by Richard Russo. Good writing, lots of sly humor, a university setting. I'm reading it now and quite enjoy it.

goat said...

I've read it.

The school he teaches at, it's modeled after one of the PA State System of Higher Education schools of which Shippensburg University (where I teach) is a part. That made the read especially fun for me.

Anyway, good choice. I hope you enjoy it.

Nevada said...

When I was in college I would have much preferred your approach. I still do not understand why people have to respond to discussing ideas with such vitriolic behavior.

KanyonKris said...

That must have made "Straight Man" even funnier for you. Cool.